When you run a query report in Dynamics 365 F&O, a dialog will appear allowing you to make selections such as the Destination, Records to Include, and the Run Report in Background options. Dialog Setup is a Lasernet Connector function that allows you to customise this dialog to fit your needs. This article provides an introduction on how to use Dialog Setup. For a more in-depth explanation of all the different settings and capabilities of Dialog setup, please reference our Form links – Dialog setup and Query – Dialog setup sections of our guide.
Dialog setup locations
Dialogue Setup can be found in two places:
Lasernet > Common > Reports, on the action pane of the Lasernet query report and on the Form link of a Lasernet query report.
Lasernet > Common > Reports, on the Form link of a Lasernet query report.
We will review the Dialog Setup on the action pane of the Lasernet query report. This Dialog Setup controls the dialog the user sees when they run the query report from Lasernet > Common > Reports > Run Report on the action pane.
Dialog Setup Settings:
When you select Dialog setup you will see a form with a Default ranges button and three fast tabs; General, Parameters, and Details.
The General tab has the following settings.
- Execution: Indicates how report dialog shall be used when running a report.
- Set focus: Select control that is supposed to be selected when the form opens.
- Submit when modified: Automatically clicks OK after field modification.
The Parameters fast tab allows you to add and customize the parameters on the dialog.
If you select the checkbox for the Show column, the parameter will show as an option on the dialog for the user to possibly modify.
The Control name is a Language Text which allows your parameters’ name to translate automatically to the user’s language.
Default value allows you to hardcode a value for this parameter or use the Expression Editor to dynamically select the default value.
Range allows the input in the parameter field to be read as a range rather than a single value.
The Load Instruction column allows you to determine how the parameter field will load when the dialog pops up at a report run.
- From last value: The value used in the dialog on the last run of this report will load.
- From default – fixed: The value indicated in the default value column will load and cannot be changed by the user running the report.
- From default: The value indicated in the default value column will load and the user can change it.
- Clear: No value will load.
Lastly, the Details fast tab allows you to set properties on the Parameter that is currently selected.
The Lookup group has two fields; Extended data type name and Enum name. If there exists an extended data type or an Enum name in the system that corresponds to the parameter you have added, selecting it here creates a dropdown on the parameter in the dialog for the user to select.
- Extended data type name: Name of an extended data type in the AOT.
- Enum name: Name of enum in the AOT.
The Default Ranges button on a Dialog setup opens the Default query ranges form for the report. This form allows you to set up ranges and filters for report fields. On a Dialog setup, you can use Default ranges to assign Parameters to fields in your report. This gives the user running the report the ability to filter and control the output of the report.
Example Dialog setup configuration:
Prerequisite: We have created a custom query report called 'CustomerInvoiceReport'.
1. Navigate to Lasernet > Common > Reports, select CustomerInvoiceReport and on the action pane, select Dialog setup.
2. Select Default for Execution, leave Set focus blank, and set Submit when modified to No.
Create a new Parameter:
To add a new parameter, follow these steps:
1. Select New and provide a Control Name.
2. Select the checkbox for Show, leave the Default value blank and select Clear for the Load instruction.
Set up a Default Range using a Parameter
To set up a Default Range using a Parameter, follow these steps:
1. Click Default ranges.
2. Add a line for table CustTable and field AccountNum.
3. Scroll to the right and select the Expression Editor button.
The expression editor will open.
4. In the Selected value field, click the dropdown and select Parameter.
5. Click the dropdown again and you will now see all the Dialog Parameters available for selection.
6. Select the new parameter and click Ok to close the expression editor.
7. Click Ok in the Dialog setup to close the Dialog setup.
8. On the action pane click Run report.
You will now see the new parameter. You can type in a value before selecting Ok to run the report.
The report will run, using the value you have entered in the dialog as a filter on the corresponding table.
Use Extended data type
To use the Extended data type, follow these steps:
1. Open the Dialog setup again and select the new parameter.
2. In the Details fast tab, open the dropdown for Extended data type name, select CustAccount and click Ok.
3. On the action pane click Run report. The dialog will appear.
4. Select the dropdown arrow for the Parameter and you will now see a selection of Account numbers in the system.
5. Select a value from the dropdown and click Ok to run the report.
The report will run using the value you have selected in the dialog as a filter on the corresponding table.